July 9, 2009

Packing and Crafting

Three days till camp! Just one problem. I have barely packed anything! As you can see from my suitcase, I'm not very organized when it comes to trips.















I have also been making a lot of crafts this week. A few days ago, I made sun printed bandannas.




For my birthday several years ago, I received a Sun Print Kit. I have not used it for a long time, so I pulled it out this week. What you do is paint a piece of fabric with special sun paint. Next, you take the fabric outside, lay it down in a sunny place, and place your objects. You could use really anything as long as it is able to make a shape. (For food, it is good to only use hard things: pretzels, uncooked pasta, etc. I used leaves for one, and buttons for the other. First I decided where to place them.















After everything was dry, I took off the shapes. They didn't quite turn out how I had wanted. Some of the prints were barely visible. It works better when the paint is darker, but the paint I was using was a bit old. My next project was tie dye T-shirts.















Yesterday a tie dyed 5 T-shirts before lunch! That may not seem very amazing to many, but for me it was a record. (I often start projects, and never finish them.) It was a pretty messy project too, so there was a lot to clean up. (I have also been known to make things, and not clean up the mess after.) I'm glad I wore rubber gloves when handling the dye because last year when my family and I made tie dye T-shirts we didn't wear gloves. Our hands looked like rainbows!
















Notice the sticks in the photograph next to the dye. My mom wouldn't let me use kitchen spoons, so I found some sticks to stir with. The only problem was that several sticks broke and some pieces fell into the dye. Here are the T-shirts I made:







(Sunshine Orange.)










(Kelly Green. This is against a window, so it looks like it's glowing.)













(Royal blue.)











(Sunshine Orange and Fuchsia - Swirled.)








(Kelly Green and Royal Blue - Swirled. This was also against a window.)










So all of these I made before lunch! It took a long time, and a lot of work, but now I have five new colorful T-shirts.

1 comment:

  1. When I pack, my suitcase is always really disorganized, and it only gets worse as I actually use the stuff I packed.

    The sun print stuff is really neat! And I love your tie die shirts! The colors and the designs are awesome. We made tie die shirts once several years ago, but I tried to use all of the colors in one T-shirt and I didn't do the pattern quite right, either. It ended up looking really wierd. :)

    ReplyDelete